At Holy Family Catholic School we have a Young Carers group. Each month the Young Carers get together and do fun activities and have the opportunity to be other children who are in a similar situation. They also have the opportunity to have 1-1 sessions with Mrs Avis to discuss any worries or concerns, during lunchtime drop in sessions.
Holy Family Catholic support team for Young Carers are:
Mrs M Stenning: Academy Principal
Mrs Avis: FLO and Young Carers Supervisor
Mrs S Davis: SENCo
Who is a young Carer?
A Young Carers is a child under the age of 18 who may do extra things at home and usually help by:
Cleaning, cooking, doing the washing and /or shopping.
Help with looking and caring for younger siblings.
Helping someone to communicate with other people.
Supporting someone physically & or emotionally.
Doing homework/bathing younger siblings.
Getting medication for the person they care for.
How Holy Family support
· We have specific members of staff with a responsibility of supporting and understanding our Young Carers.
· All staff are aware of who are Young Carers.
· We work with external agencies to ensure that both parents/carers are given the support needed either through meeting on a 1:1 basis at home or at school.
· We have monthly activity sessions for the Young Carers to get together and have fun.
· We work closely with secondary schools on transition form year 6 to year 7 , making sure support is in place for Young Carers.
· We provide opportunities to identify Young Carers and then track their progress closely.