Modern Foreign Languages (MFL) at Holy Family Catholic Primary School
- Deliver a high-quality languages education that fosters children’s curiosity and deepens their understanding of the world.
- Provide opportunities for children to communicate for practical purposes and develop multi-cultural respect and understanding.
- Encourage children to have the confidence to explore other countries, cultures and languages.
Key stage 2: dedicated weekly lessons in French using the ‘ilanguages’ programme of study in addition to other resources.
Key Stage 1: ad hoc opportunities for language teaching during the day with activities such as prayers and taking the register.
We strive to ensure that children leave Holy Family being able to:
- Listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding.
- Engage in conversations by asking and answering questions, expressing opinions and responding to others.
- Speak in sentences; using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures.
- Appreciate French stories, songs, poems and rhymes.
- Describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing.
- Understand basic grammar.